More and more countries in the world embrace democracy. But democracy is changing permanently. Can a European style parliamentary system be exported to other continents? Can Europe learn from more deliberative forms of democracy on other continents? How can citizens become more involved in politics? And is it true that a transparent parliament building leads to a more transparent democracy?
BOZAR AGORA and deBuren invites, in association with International IDEA, five speakers to explore the future of democratic politics.
• Yves Leterme : Secretary-General of the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) and Prime Minister of Belgium (2008, 2009-2011)
• Alexander De Croo : Belgian vice-prime minister and minister of Development Cooperation (Open VLD).
• Manu Claeys : author, activist, and co-founder of stRatenGeneraal, a citizen’s movement that proposes alternatives for a better mobility in Antwerp. He will hold a keynote speech on the role citizen’s can play in a modern democracy.
• David Mulder, member of XML Architects & Sandberg Instituut.
• Bastiaan Rijpkema, writer of "Weerbare democratie", and professor Legal Law, University of Leiden.
Moderator is Ann Peuteman, journalist at Knack.
18:00 Yves Leterme - Book presentation, "De weg naar de democratie" (Original English title : ‘Democratic Transitions : Conversations with World Leaders’)
18:20 Manu Claeys - Key note address on democratic renewal
18:40 Panel discussion with Yves Leterme, Alexander De Croo, Bastiaan Rijpkema, David Mulder and Manu Claeys. Moderator : Ann Peuteman.
19:25 Exchange of views with audience