The Gabriela Tudor Foundation (Bucharest) and the Next Generation, Please! festival organised by BOZAR – Centre for Fine Arts in Brussels are launching a call for participants for 11 young people from Belgium and Romania interested in participating in an artistic exchange project to take place in Bucharest and Brussels between November 2018 and May 2019.
Developed by Romanian choreographer Cosmin Manolescu, Emotional Europe proposes to zoom into the life, interests and politics of the new generation, but also to reflect on experiences that propose to go beyond the comfort zone, and on the new trends in contemporary art, by using the concept of the emotional body and by questioning the role of activism in Europe today. What does it mean to be emotional today? What does it mean to be a European citizen? What is the future of Europe and how can we contribute to it right now?
The project will be developed in two short residencies-emotional trips in Bucharest and Brussels, through a series of workshops, seminars and meetings with activists and politicians from Belgium and Romania focusing on the future of Europe. The result of the exchange will be presented in the framework of the Next Generation, Please! festival, to take place on May 9-10, 2019 at BOZAR in Brussels.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS
– To be open minded and have an interest in discovering new cities and contemporary art forms, and to be willing to share your opinions about what it means to be European today.
– To be born between January 1993 and January 2000, being between 18 and 25 years old at the start of the project, and residents of Romania or Belgium.
– To be fluent in English or French and able to travel and participate in two exchange residencies to take place between January 10-18, 2019 in Bucharest and May 1-10, 2019 in Brussels.
– To be available to participate in the project residencies (approx. 12 working days, 5-6 hours/ day).
– Applicants from Belgium should be able to participate in two seminars in Brussels on November 22, 2018 and April 25, 2019.
– Applicants who are visual artists or bloggers should be able to create content and document with photos/video/text the whole exchange and artistic process on a blog dedicated to the project.
– Emerging artists from various disciplines are welcome to apply; experience in contemporary dance is not necessary.
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING
The opportunity to participate in an artistic project, meet new people, make new friends and experience the world of contemporary dance.
– The opportunity to travel for free to Romania (for participants from Belgium) and to Belgium (for participants from Romania) for approx. 7-10 days (all travel costs – plane ticket, accommodation, per diem and cultural programme will be covered through the project).
– The possibility to work with a Romanian choreographer as well as to meet other artists, activists and politicians from Romania and Belgium.
– All participants will receive a fee.
HOW TO APPLY
Those interested are invited to send an email to email@example.com with:
– A letter of interest, outlining their motivation to take part in the project and including a few lines about their personal view on Europe today
– Two photos (one portrait) and a biography/CV
– Emerging visual artists and bloggers are required to include links to their artistic projects, texts or a portfolio.
The application deadline is October 20, 2018, and the results of the selection will be announced by the end of September. Five participants from each country will be selected.
For all interested applicants in Belgium, Cosmin Manolescu will lead a dance workshop and organise a meeting at BOZAR on September 10, from 18:00-21:00. For the Romanian participants, Cosmin Manolescu will also organise a meeting in Bucharest on September 15 (date and location to be confirmed).
For details about the project, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: October 20, 2018.
image © Alina Usurelu