In light of the current coronavirus restrictions, the fifth edition of the Afropolitan Festival will not take place this year and will be postponed to 2022. In the meantime, don’t miss the Afropolitan Weekend, from 9–11 July, marking the cultural reopening. Join us for some good times!
Cinema, dance, debates, slam and DJ performances. The programme is reduced but promises to be exhilarating. Brussels director Marthe Djilo Kamga will present her new documentary on the black LGBTQI+ community in Belgium. MDF The Label, also from Brussels, will unveil its new dancehall choreography. On the performance side, get the vibes going with the L-Slam collective and Lisette Lombé, and a DJ/VJ show concocted by the Mandji association, with Rokia Bamba, Sarah Carlier and Ben Richard.
Last but not least, two debates will address the pioneering role and resilience of Afropean women who have shown a remarkable professional commitment, whether in politics or in the humanities and social sciences. Devised by Olivia Gieskes and Dorrie Wilson, these debates will include MEPs (Pierrette Herzberger-Fofana and Samira Rafaela) and prominent female professors (such as Guilaine Kinouani).
This Afropolitan Weekend promises to be memorable.
- Friday 9 July 2021
- 14:00-16:00 Debate: Afropolitan Women and Black Europe at the European Parliament. Samira Rafaela (MEP), Pierrette Herzberger-Fofana (MEP), Monica Semedo (MEP), Ojeaku Nwabuzo (ENAR) en madeleine kennedy-macfoy (moderator)
- 19:00-20:30 Screening: première Black LGBTQI, Here We Are and Q&A with Marthe Djilo Kamga & Diane Ntahimpera
- Saturday 10 July 2021
- 17:00-18:30 Dance Performance: Unmuted by Sisterhood - MDF The Label asbl
- 20:00-22:00 Slam Performance : On ne s'excuse de rien & DJ/VJ performance Rokia Bamba and Sarah Carlier - VJ BenRichard
- Sunday 11 July 2021
- 16:00-17:30: Storytelling Performances : Brussels City of Stories x Afropolitan
- 17:30-19:00 Talk: Heart & Soul with Guilaine Kinouani and Dorrie Wilson >> This event is reported. The debate will take place online and will be broadcasted on 16 July at 11:00.
Friday 9 July, 14:00 → 20:30
Saturday 10 July, 17:00 → 22:00
Sunday 11 July, 14:00 → 19:00
rue Ravenstein 23 1000 Brussels